Pairing youth with special needs, giving both Buddies and Mentors lifetime experiences that neither would have without the other.
Buddies create a three project wish list. This list can include most of the traditional projects such as cattle, cooking, goats, natural resources, sheep, and woodworking.
Experienced Mentors complete a training to prepare them to assist a Buddy. These members will have taken the project they are assisting with at least one year prior to meeting their Buddy.
Buddies are paired with a Mentor of their choice, or through a matching system. The pair will meet a minimum of three times before completion of the project. Project books will be provided for each buddy.
How do you begin this process?
- Buddy Members must be 9-18 years old as of January 1 of the current year.
- Buddy Members do not need to join a 4-H club, but can if they would like. If a Buddy would like to participate without a Mentor, they MUST enroll in a 4-H club.
- Buddy Members need to complete and return to the Extension Office a Buddy Application and a Winning 4-H Plan Request Form. See chart below.
- Every Buddy is paird with an experienced Mentor who will help guide them through the completion of the project.
- Every Buddy can complete most 4-H projects, both livestock and non-livestock.
- Each Buddy and Mentor pair will meet a minimum of three times before completion of the project. Parents/Guardians may need to assist in the completion of the project.
- Project books will be provided for each Buddy.
- Mentor 4-H Members must be no younger than 13 years old as of January 1 of the current year.
- Mentor 4-H Members must complete and return to the Extension Office a Mentor Application. See chart below
- Each Mentor needs to complete a training class and have at least one year experience with the project they are assisting.
- March 13, 2020 - Mentor Applications due to the Extension Office
- March 20, 2020 - Buddy Applications and Winning 4-H Plan due to the Extension Office
- March 21, 2020 - Mentor Training - 9-11am at the Extension Office
- March 21, 2020 - Mentor Buddy meet and greet - 11:30a - 12 noon at the Extension Office
- May 14, 2020 - Mandatory check in meeting - 6pm at the Extension Office
- July 7, 2020 - Still Project Judging Day for Buddies and Mentors - 11am - 1pm at the Extension Office
- Livestock pairs will show during species showmanship at Hancock County Fair
No matter the disability or challenge, the opportunities are endless!
|4-H Buddy Requirements for 2020|
|4-H Buddy Flyer|
|4-H Buddy Letter|
|4-H Buddy Application|
|Winning 4-H Plan Request Form|
|4-H Mentor Requirements for 2020|
|4-H Mentor Application|