Training for Ohio Department of Health Level 2 Certification in Food Protection
As of March 1, 2017 The Ohio Department of Health requires each risk level III and risk level IV food service operation and retail food establishment to have one employee, who has supervisory and management responsibility and the authority to direct and control food preparation and service, to have Level Two Certification in Food Protection. For more information: Ohio Department of Health's Food Safety Ohio Certification webpage; Link to Ohio Restaurant Association's online ServSafe Training site
Need to submit items to Ohio Department of Health to get your Level II certificate?? Here's a link to the Ohio Department of Health's Application for Reciprocity for Certification in Food Protection
OSU Extension Hancock offers online training and proctoring of ServSafe® Exam.
OSU Extension is partnering with TAP (Training Achievement Program) Series to offer online Level 2 Food Safety Training which meets all Ohio Department of Health requirements.
You can schedule your exam date and then complete the online course at your own speed (generally 3-4 weeks).
Call or email Peg Meents (419-422-3851) about scheduling a date for administration of ServSafe exam - $40 for proctoring ServSafe Exam or retest (self-enroll in TAP); OR $125 paid at time or registration if you want Peg to enroll you in TAP and proctor the ServSafe exam for you. An exam fee must also be paid to the National Restaurant Association ($36 at the present time)
TAP training is available in either English or Spanish.
The ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification Examination (ServSafe Manager Exam) is available in:
- Online: English, Spanish and Chinese.
- Print: English, Spanish/English, Korean/English, Chinese/English, French Canadian/English, Japanese/English, and Large Print.
- In addition, there is an Instructor Exam in English for anyone interested in becoming a Certified ServSafe Instructor.
You can Self-Enroll in online training . . . Link to self-enroll in Training Achievement Program 'TAP Series' online training for Ohio Level 2 Food Safety Manager Certification Training Course (at $73 fee) AND self-schedule exam via a testing center available (with one Prometric or Pearsonvue Exam via a testing center then minimum total fee is $120).
Please check 'Hancock' as the county where you received the link information as a small portion of enrollment will be returned to our office that way.
Peg Meents is a certified proctor for the National Restaurant Association and administers online examinations on an individually scheduled basis in the small conference room at OSU Extension Hancock which is located in the Hancock Agricultural Service Center, 7868 CR 140 Suite B, Findlay OH 45840. (Fees are listed above - total exam and proctor is currently $76)
TAP also provides information for ServSafe testing as well as two other Food Manager examinations which are approved by Ohio Dept. of Health:
- Prometric at $48 - Certified Professional Food Manager Exam & closest testing center to Findlay appears to be Maumee
- Pearson Vue at $47 - International Certified Food Safety Manager Examination - appears to have closer testing center option of Ohio Northern or possibly even Owens Community College
Other Training/Examination Options . . .
- Hancock County Public Health is approved by the Ohio Department of Health to be a provider of Level 2 Certification Training. Fee is $175 per person and includes ServSafe® study materials and exam; All classes are 8 am - 5:30 pm at the Hancock County Motor Vehicle Center, 8210 CR 140 Findlay OH - Upcoming 2018 classes are: June 19 & 21, and October 9 & 11. Heidi Philips is the Certified ServSafe Instructor and Proctor. Their website also provides a link to a reciprocity form which may be needed if submitting directly to the Ohio Department of Health for Level 2 Certification. Register early as these classes fill up; Hancock Public Health staff will also proctor examinations on an individually scheduled basis.
- OSU Extension Wood County offers numerous level I and level II classes throughout the year. Register early as these classes fill up; contact Susan Zies
- In addition, Jennifer Hartman is a local Proctor for the exam and training, and has met clients at OSU Extension Hancock on an as needed basis.
Need other dates? If you are willing to drive to other locations, here's a link to Ohio State University Extension ServSafe Schedule.
Occasional Quantity Cook Volunteer Training
Home Food Preservation
Testing of Dial Pressure Gauges is available at OSU Extension Hancock County
We test dial pressure gauges any time. Just drop off the lid at OSU Extension Hancock, 7868 CR 140 Suite B, Findlay OH. Peg Meents will test the gauge if she is available, otherwise we'll call you when the testing is completed. (Please note, her general schedule is Monday - Thursday each week.)
Preserving Food Using a Pressure Canner Video
Link to OSU Extension's Home Food Preservation page This page contains other great 'how-to' videos on water bath canning of tomatoes, salsa, or sweet pickles; and freezing green beans; The page also contains a schedule for food preservation classes throughout the state. Hands-on make and take food preservation classes were held in July 2015. Check out the photos from these exciting classes!
So Easy to Preserve 6th Edition available at OSU Extension Hancock County
This 2014 update deals with canning, pickling, sweet spreads & syrups, freezing, and drying. It is packed with the latest research-based recommendations as well as inspirational ideas! We would remind home canners that recommendations for home food preservation HAVE changed based upon continued research. If you are new to home food preservation, we highly recommend this book as a primary reference.
More questions about home food preservation? Visit the National Center for Home Food Preservation's website
Another current resource for home canners is the 2015 USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning. This book discusses canning equipment, ingredients, and procedures as well as how to use them to achieve safe, high-quality, canned products. It includes hundreds of canning recipes for fruits, tomatoes, vegetables, red meats, poultry, seafood, pickles, and relishes.